Sunday 21 October 2012

JUST CALL ME LEMUKOL

                                                         
They say a name is power, and power is in the name. A name can demoralize or encourage .A name can “push” one to act. It identifies ones ideological inclination. It can scare or bring one “near” the people.

 Just like clothing, naming is stylish. It shows somebody’s social position. A name signifies the roles a person plays. Jesus was referred to as “savior”, “healer”, “the way to the Father” etc...Yes, I’m not Jesus of Nazareth. I’m Lemukol Ng’asike.
I have witnessed several guys change names to suit their interests,- at least to “assert” their positions. They call themselves professionals, intellectuals, elite etc…. 

But may I ask; is “asserting” your position of benefit or detrimental to many? Does it identify what you believe? I don’t criminalize name-calling. 

Methinks the choice of name (title or social identity) is subject to the beliefs and orientation of the outside world, what you believe, your mission in life and such things…..
I likened naming to clothing style. Let me explain. Principally we dress to protect ourselves. This is the primary objective of clothing. But I think clothing too plays a role in explaining who we are, what we have within us and which group of humankind do we associate with.

Equally, dressing style can scare or “bridge” the gap between you and the people. I believe humanity is “embedded” in all we undertake. It is not an object we can see outside there! It can only be expressed by how we are. 


Humanity dictates that we are “interconnected”. We share the same ideals. When we see others we see ourselves in them. However, as humans we’ve perfected the art of alienating ourselves from others. Yes, you might have friends, you can talk to everybody,….but does your name pose danger or close this “gap” we’ve created ourselves? For me, just call me LEMUKOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? thanks for dropping them here...