Saturday 27 September 2014

RIP DADDY, YOU STILL LIVE IN US.



I can't accept. My mind. My body. My soul. Are all bundled together as if to seek reassurance from one another on the true "news" about your untimely departure to the high heavens. I still remember your face. Your whispers. Your many stories about others; yes, about uplifting others - are still alive in us.

I still recall us sitting down - discussing, revisiting histories, jotting down your many points, rewriting your rough notes and piecing together what could turn out to be your final submissions to village meetings and to politicos who knew nothing about the genesis of those ideas.

I remember your hearty laughter. Your twisted, mind-piercing questions. I must say. I must admit. You did a good job. Oh, you did the best job. You made sure we grew up with powerful brains. Brains that see. Brains that walk. Brains that build. Brains that work.

What else can I say? I must overcome living in denial. I must accept that you've gone to live with the Almighty Father. The giver and taker of life. It is painful truism. But we must live with it. You are no more. You breathed your last.

But something strikes me. That your spirit is not dead. It is here with us. That your many fruitful seeds are still in abundance; multiplying and multiplying day by day. Personified in your children and children's children.

I know mum, that indefatigable half of you, will jump in defense of this: That your place in the family - and society - is irreplaceable. You still stand tall for many many days, many many years to come.

You shepherded us to the high grounds of joy. You ingrained in us the working spirit. 

Daddy, I cry when I recall that you are gone. That I won't hear your voice. That your reassuring face will remain a mirage - a hidden treasure six-feet under!

What painful experience is this? It is painful that you have gone before seeing my wife, my children, your "other" family. I could imagine the thoughts in your mind. 

But what can I do? Do I have any powers to curse the Good Lord for giving you rest? Do I possess any powers to prolong your days?

I accept. I am powerless. A mere mortal. A headless creature. I am nothing without Him that gives and takes life.

But one thing is true and strong. I will carry on with your many thoughts, meditations, plans and actions. You still remain alive in us.

Rest in peace daddy and continue rising up in us everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? thanks for dropping them here...