Saturday 15 December 2012

DEDICATION TO WOMEN AND MOTHERS

                       Today's article marks my 40th piece.This is a special piece dedicated to women and mothers.Yes, ladies this is meant for you!The likes of my mum and my sisters.I draw my inspiration from the love and closeness demonstrated by these people.They are so important to me that I find it impossible to forgive those hellbent to cause harm (physical or mental) to them(women). They are the fabric that holds humanity.They are the foundations over which societies and nations are built.They are the fountain of love and humanity.They are full of progressive dreams.They look into the future with an optimistic feeling.They are full of hope.They are really wonderful creatures.Lets look at some of their wonderful works.

                         First in line is my mama.This lady has played a critical role in nurturing me.Whenever I think of the steps  I have made I find her hand in them.Her philosophy was that of leading by example.She always demonstrated what she wanted us to learn.Failure to follow this would attract "several of the best". Some of us found this punishing.But our vision could not match what she had for us.Her vision was that of tomorrow.Ours was of today.We couldn't agree and something had to happen (some strokes were necessary) for her to drive her point home.I vividly remember those evening "lessons" when we gathered to pray and learn from the Bible.She was hard on this.Each day had a designated "teacher". It is from these "lessons" that I learned the art of thinking and passing the message as required.The list is long... Let me stop here.Anyway, thanks mum.I love you mama!

                         Then comes a group of "the market women" (wanawake wa soko). My mum was also part of this group.These women are the brains behind merry-go-round (chamas) idea in my village.My success is as a result of this.That is why I hold them dear.They symbolized vision.They literally controlled the local economy.They stood up even in the face of aggression from vision-less men.They had unbreakable bond.They understood what earned them the name "the market women". Their unity was that of purpose.Their readiness to help one another was what astonished me most.

                        My local chief(administrator) is another woman who falls in this category of people.This lady is intelligent.She is brave and visionary.Her voice is that of finality.She loves her job.She epitomizes what women can do that men can't do.With her presence,the village chaps get to know that the rule of law exists.She is a mother and  a leader.She understands what it means to be that way.Peace is her other name.Congratulations Madam Chief Sarah.I'm proud of you.

                       Finally,I want to pour words of hope to all expectant mothers.I understand how selfless you are.Your strength is demonstrated by your capacity to carry us for 40 good weeks.This calls for a celebration!This is a show of bravery.Know that you are conquerors.MAY THE BLESSINGS OF THE LORD BE UPON YOU.

                                                       * * * * * * * * * * * 
                      This doesn't negate the role and the place of men.They too have done a wonderful job.You deserve praise.KUDOS TO MEN!

                                              HAPPY FESTIVE SEASON.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? thanks for dropping them here...