Saturday 2 March 2013

FROM FATHER TO SON; THE WONDER-WORLD OF WRITING

                       Many have asked me why I love writing. They have sought to know how I arrive at writing long articles full of wisdom. Many back at home (Kenya) have linked my love for writing to my stay in Morocco. They think I 'learned' this art in this land. Nothing is further from the truth. Let me give you a breakdown of the whole story. 

                        My people say knowledge is like an oasis,it dries not when folks drink from it. It is a fountain of hope for many. It is a refuge for the homeless and a pillar of defense for the weak. That is what my ancestors say. Sharing knowledge is the surest and purest way of learning. Knowledge is not money you can tie and have it stored in a secret place. Knowledge is seen. It is felt. It connects. It is the umbilical cord that puts the people of God together. These are the foundations on which my life was laid. Let me tell you how.

                        My semi-illiterate dad is a dallying of books. Writing is his hobby. Talking is his other occupation. He is sharp-eyed and observes from a distance. He is a curious son of the land who leaves not any new idea to pass him. It is through these encounters that we came together. Since he is semi-illiterate I was of great importance to have his ideas put on paper. That was my first step in embracing writing. Perfectness is his other name. In writing his short pieces, accuracy of facts was (and is still) a matter of priority. I remember him saying that what we wrote was destined for the whole world. And indeed it was.

                       Besides,he nurtured my thoughts. He made sure I 'cracked' my mind to get the finest material to write. This has now come in handy whenever I write. He used to say, "believability of facts comes from the mind. By unlocking the full potential of your brains,you inspire many and in turn bring them near you." He need not demonstrate this for me. I saw it myself. Our home was like a 'mini-parliament' of the village. Folks congregated here to discuss with and learn from him. It was an enjoyable encounter. I was always around the corner to listen to these  words of wisdom. Ooh, how I wish I had the capacity to record some of these talks for you and others who didn't have this opportunity!  

                        After these 'sessions' I would always chip in and inquire what transpired during the 'debates'. My father is a generous chap. He would immediately open up and we could discuss and analyze what was said for hours as we write important points down. This is how I came to learn about the anatomy of my people. 

                         Again before he left for any of the numerous local chief's meetings,he called me to help him fine-tune the points he intended to talk about. Here we discussed matters ranging from water challenges, health-care, education, farming, culture and of course the politics of the day.This way I became acquainted with the real world around me.

                         So if you see me writing be informed that this is an inborn passion. It is a continuation of my father's works. It is part of the knowledge-sharing philosophy of my people. For you and others who happened to have missed this golden opportunity I intend to set-up a museum and a local library so you can have a look at some of the writings of the Senior LEMUKOL. See you when this idea becomes a reality. MAY THE BLESSINGS OF GOD BE UPON MY PARENTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? thanks for dropping them here...